November 12, 2018

Hands Up, Don’t Shoot

Let there be much praise for Spike Lee’s Blackkklansman.

Let it grip you into its midst and carry you toward the end without blinking. This is some relevant sh*t – “power to all the people”.

Ron Stallworth (played by John David Washington) infiltrates the KluKluxKlan with a surprising twist – he’s black. So, he pretends to be white as he talks to the Grand Wizard, David Duke (Topher Grace) over the phone, while his partner Flip Zimmerman (Adam Driver) goes undercover – face to face.

One scene particularly got me. Its resonance with the real world. And its nod to the orange fruit-loop in the White House.

Ron

‘One day my father came home early, from work. He told me I couldn’t play with that little spook anymore, because I was white and butterbuscuit was a n****r’.

David

‘That’s so rich. Well your father sounds like a terrific man.’

Ron

‘He was a true American. Taught me what was right.’

David

‘This is why we need more people like you and me in public office. We need to get this country back on track.’

Ron

‘Amen.’

David

‘For America to achieve its greatness¬†again.’

Ron

‘Absolutely’.

I would like to leave you all with one last bit of script, monologued by David Duke again, when he addresses the Arkansas Chapter in Colorado Springs. Its important to note, that even though they claim to be servants of Jesus Christ –¬† their doctrine and hatred neutralizes this in one fell swoop –

David

‘Brothers in Christ. Nobel-prize recipient, co-creator of the transistor and a dear friend of mine Dr. William Shockley, whose ground-breaking scientific work, ushered in the computer age, has proven through his research with eugenics, that each of us here, has flowing through our veins, the genes of a superior race. It’s a fact. It can’t be disputed. Today, we celebrate that truth.’

Here’s a video of Shockley speaking out about this belief around the time the film is set:

00

1 Comment

• Gosh Sam, that sounds like a fascinating premis.
    I like that we learn about other writing through fellow students.
    Cheers,
    Trish

×