The Friday Poem

Sometimes in life, opportunity knocks.

As part of our creative writing course, we had the opportunity to write for the Nelson Mail about one of the upcoming events at the Pukapuka Talks.

Luckily, I was able to research and write about The Friday Poem. I’d read the the anthology by Steve Braunias earlier in the year, and found it was one of the catalysts for really kick-starting my interest in writing poetry. The book is a collection of 100 New Zealand poems by 61 different poets, each of which has been published sometime between 2015 – 2018 on The Spinoff.

As you can imagine, the collection is quite diverse. There are themes on TV stars, love, hate, death, being pissed by 11am, and dumplings – just to name a few. I suddenly realised poetry didn’t have to be old and boring. It can be full of spice and juicy bits! Like luscious cherries melting on your mouth (err, or your ears, rather).

In his introduction to the anthology, Steve Braunias talks about poetry in New Zealand undergoing some kind of revolution of sorts. I have to say, I agree.

It was a great process to write my first article for the Nelson Mail, on something that I was genuinely interested in. I’m quite a wordy sort of person, so fitting all the details in as concise as possible, is always a challenge!

Below is a link to the article on Stuff with further details about the book, and the upcoming event in Nelson.

poetryhttps://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/115195737/pukapuka-talks-the-friday-poem-salutes-revival-in-new-zealand-poetry

10
×