My weekly planner update. As can be seen I am close to finishing my IT courses which should hopefully leave me a small portion at the end of the week to do some work on my CGI project and beyond this the next two weeks are going to be dedicated to it since it will be my only assessment left.
I in fact have managed to do quite a bit this week. I got my weight painting finished as well as some handles created. One think that will be noticed is that I have removed all the accessories that the model originally came with as these are going to take way to much unnecessary extra time to weight paint since the automatic weights has done a horrendously terrible job in assigning their weights. This will allow me to focus on the model more which is what is required.
A couple of weeks ago I got the head and neck working along with any extra weight painting added. This week is all about checking that the automatic weights on the rest of the body is correct. I have ensure I set the weight painting to mirror what I do on side of the body to the other side as well.
The first area I noticed lacking is the wrist. When I bent it up the glove would sink into the arm. I have subtracted weight from the edge of the glove which has solved this since the hand will now longer influence that area. As can be seen below the wrist looks good now.
I have done a similar thing with all the glove edges. I have made each finger and thumb have high influence over their edge of the glove as can be seen below. Also it is also seen that the automatic weights has given the thumb some influence over the pointer finger. This I have now removed.
With the upper body checked and any adjustments made I have moved to the the hips and legs. This is proving to be an absolute trial to weight paint as it is quite tricky to balance the weights on the upper thigh with those on the hips. I am trying to make it so that the leg can move without causing any out of the ordinary creases. Below is a snippet of my final weights for the left thigh which I have mirrored for the right. Following it is my hips weights.
This is a video clip of my demonstrating the legs as moving correctly at the pelvis. It only shows one but due to mirroring the other works exactly the same.
The last thing I had to adjust is the ankles since they were not automatically weighted properly when I had the leg bend into some positions. Below is my working result.
IK Handles on Arms
One last thing I have managed to accomplish is to set up the IK handles on the arms. I could not believe how easy these ended up being.
Below is my putting the arm IK handles through their paces to ensure everything is working. As can be seen I two of the poses I tested is a reaching out to grab something or to do a handshake and the other arm is in wave or hi five position.