My team participated in both the “Bamboo Stick” and “Blindfold” activities. In both cases I believe that communication between us was effective. Before starting each task we had a meeting and discussed how we would approach the given task, assigning roles, etc.

The first of our chosen activities was the Bamboo Stick activity. For this activity, a bamboo stick must be lowered to the ground using the backs of our hands, requiring the group to co-ordinate their movements.
My first thought was that the hardest part would be to balance the stick on the backs of our hands while moving down. After a bit of thought, I realised that we could hold our hands together (knuckles touching as per the rules) angled down to form a V-shape.
I suggested this to the group and we decided to go with it. Using this method balancing the stick was completely negated and all we had to do then was lower the stick to the ground.
The only difficultly beyond this point was lowering it to the ground equally, but not so much that it was a problem.

I believe that prior planning greatly contributed to the success to this task. We all stuck our heads together and worked out a way in which we could complete the task.

With the blindfold activity, prior planning was not as useful to the extent that the bamboo stick activity was.
Still we planned what we could; this consisted mostly of who would wear the blindfold and where we would start and finish (Cafe/SANITI entrance).
As the classroom we were in was on the third story we decided that for health and safety reasons would start the exercise on the ground floor.
From there the blindfold was equipped and we meandered off.

We hadn’t even gone halfway through the car park when my brain flipped from saying “This is going well” to “This is going, too, well”. At which point I thought I’d quickly run a small bit of interference by giving a couple of misleading directions. (Clearly I was not the one with the blindfold.) This was found out quickly enough by the second member of our team (of three) without a blindfold. They, and the blindfolded one, quickly removed this interference by considering my directions invalid.
They dealt with the interference quickly and effectively, in order to insure the successful completion of the activity. Doing so by using effective communication amongst each other and determining what lines of communication were valid.

After this I switched back to working towards the success of the activity. The rest went so well that we even went right passed the cafe/SANITI entrance, and stopped in front of the library before heading back.

By Frank Schulz – 15/05/2020

00