AAD511 Communications Lab

What is social media?

What is social media? I’m sure we all know the answer to this, but I’m going to answer this question anyway. Social media is a range of websites and applications that allow users to share content, or participate in social networking.
Social Media for artists is a service we must make the most of. What better way to get yourself, and your work out there. Promoting yourself on social media with a few clicks of a button and a photo later, you’ll have people from all over the globe looking at and reacting to your work.

The social media boom means artists don’t have to rely on galleries and the art world to validate their work, instead you can build your own following through your own hard work and perseverance, and it’s a place to show the world who YOU are. No longer do we have to play the games of the art world.

Social media is also a good way to hold yourself accountable, if you’ve got a following on social media then you’re more likely to post your work, and therefore you will be more motivated to make more content (I’m guilty of being slack). This is also a good way to make connections in the wonderful world of art, you’ll meet other artists, and influencers, which in turn can also be a good source of inspiration! (I know I work best when bouncing ideas off people).

We all have a love/hate relationship with social media, but Instagram at the very least is a must for upcoming artists. Being a social media platform that relies solely on images, you can build your own digital art gallery. This makes it a great way for us to get our name and our work out there by going directly to our target audience.

And while there are downsides to using the available platforms, the upsides (in my opinion at least) outweigh the downsides by a mile. I think it is important for every artist to know how to make the most of their social media profiles while also not falling into the traps it can create.

10
×