Comms,  Photography

2 Shutter Speed Techniques to Improve Your Photography

Photography. What a great word. Do you know what else is great? Shutter speed.

Shutter speed is the length of time camera shutter is open, exposing light onto the camera sensor.

There are 2 most common shutter speed uses:
1. Freeze motion
2. Motion blur

In photography class today, we had to photograph both ways. Freeze motion uses higher shutter speed to make the moving subject seem as if it’s still. On the other hand, motion blur is using lower shutter speed to create a sense of motion.

For my motion blur image, I have decided to take a picture of a moving truck, as you can see above. I set up my tripod and camera to focus on the fence in the background. When the truck came closer, I clicked the shutter-release button to photograph the truck in motion.

As for my freeze motion image, I have decided to go a different route and take a photograph of my dog running to fetch a ball.

Elle, 2020

Isn’t he just handsome?

Bibliography

“Understanding Shutter Speed for Beginners – Photography Basics.” Photography Life. Last modified January 10, 2020. https://photographylife.com/what-is-shutter-speed-in-photography#what-is-shutter-speed.

00
×