Finding Your Why

An important part of this journey is getting a clearer picture of myself, my why and future goals. The Japanese concept of Ikigai is a visual tool to do just that. A life lead according to your Ikigai is believed to be a purposeful, fulfilled and happy life.

http://www.agileinfluence.com/17/review-accca-2018

After a quick brainstorming session without overthinking it, I found out that I could see myself going in two directions (orange and blue), which are not necessarily exclusive.

According to this version of my ikigai one path could lead towards working at a gallery promoting artists and making their art and the messages behind the works accessible to the public. Art galleries have always been one of my happy places.

The other path could lead to a career in graphic design. Drawn to clear, geometric designs, type and patterns I would love to learn to create those myself. Simple graphics are a wonderful way to communicate.

Having done this exercise I have indeed a sense of clarity and might be able to plan my studies better. An Ikigai is an amazingly effective tool to set clear achievable goals. However, I will have to rethink my Ikigai from time to time, sitting down, reflecting and finding answers to these existential questions:

What do I love?

What am I good at?

What does the world need more of?

What can I be paid for?

Our ikigai is different for all of us, but one thing we have in common is that we are all searching for meaning.”

Hector Garcia Puigcerver, Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life
00