Alternative Movie Poster – Refining after Feedback

I received lots of helpful feedback. The windows poster seemed to be the most popular. Other feedback was: making the text more legible and adding other info, making it more balanced, adding another detail/colour (blood) and making the train less abstract.

I started with the vanishing windows version and added the names according to the original poster. This time in Indesign, since editing text and text blocks seems a little easier there. Again I tried to refer to a reflection or tracks. However, I still struggle to make this idea work, so I had a look at the straight window version.

Here’s the development of the straight window version:

I added lines and wheels to make the train less abstract and made the title part of the train. Also, I added the bloodstain that replaces the dot on top of the i in Orient. I aimed for a balanced, symmetrical composition with the blood breaking the symmetry to add interest and refer to the murder. The colour scheme is similar to the visuals I researched, purple-blue and yellow as high contrast complementary colours referring to a lit-up train in the night. There is a lot of negative space, some of which is part of the train.
The font of the title reflects the period the film takes place.

These are my three finalists so far. The far-right is the most balanced, I think. Thank you all for your feedback!

Now to the principles of composition:

I used the idea of Gestalt by arranging simple shapes and lines so the viewer could read a train out of the composition. Looking at the rule of thirds, the windows as the main feature are placed in the upper third, the actors’ names in the lower third. This placement and the framing of the title and the small font of the actors’ names create a visual hierarchy that makes the viewer read the poster from top to bottom. Although I used two different fonts (a decorative one for the title and a simpler one for the names), there is a consistency in using only one shade of yellow for almost the entire design.

00
×