Foodbank campaign- Idea/Concept Generation

Foodbanks are invaluable in our society. They are a very effective tool to -at least in a small way- redistribute wealth and offer immediate help to existential problems. I chose the local foodbank, as it is a known fact that foodbanks struggle in those tougher economic times.  

I want to create a campaign (posters, social media images) that creates a sense of urgency and immediacy in the viewer by evoking not only empathy but also a degree of sadness and shock.  

Referring to the idea of wealth distribution my primary target group are families with children. The campaign will need to pull on the heartstrings of mothers who are fortunate enough to bring up their children in financial comfort and security.  

The aim is to raise awareness of hidden poverty and therefore of the often-unnoticed work foodbanks do and to increase monetary and food donations.  

After doing some research around foodbanks I started with a mind map. While jotting down words, I remembered an incident from 2 years ago. When my daughter was in year1, we parents were invited to come to join our kids for lunch at school one day. They all sat neatly on the mat, dressed in tidy Catholic school uniforms, munching happily on their lunches. However, the little girl who sat down next to me, opened an empty lunchbox, saying she ate all at morning tea. Later it turned out that morning tea for her had been a handful of Oreos. This was a stark reminder that poverty and hunger are often hidden in our society (The school is a decile 8 school and yet some kids go hungry).

My first ideas were around making the invisible or the missing (here food) visible by using a photo of a kitchen scene in black and white and having the food items in colour or vice versa.

Another idea is to draw the food items by hand referring to the wishful thinking of having food in the house. The stovetop and pot would be rendered from the mother’s perspective so other mothers can relate.

I was wondering if I should further zoom into the scene and remove the bigger context of the kitchen in order to zoom further into the problem, into the missing element.
The foodbank also distributes personal hygiene and cleaning products. A “more than food” campaign could be another option.

Taking the idea of zooming in further, I could omit the background and use a solid colour instead. And to pull even more on those mothers’ heartstrings as well as make it relatable to their children, it needs to be shown from the child’s perspective. That would mean using food children prefer and drawings that are child-like suggesting the child sitting in front of the empty plate drew their favourite food on the plate.

Slogans could be ” we put food on the table” ” Hunger is invisible – We see it” ” we put more than food on the table” with a clear call to donate.

00