Despite growing up surrounded by art and artists I chose a completely different career for the first 10 years of adulthood followed by 10 years of child-rearing. Early in 2019, however, a friend gave me a boring looking ’90s book called The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. This book is a 12-week course to re-awaken your creative side and it was indeed life-changing. I realised how important art was and always has been in my life. By week 2 of the course, I enrolled in various art classes and by week 12 I found the courage to enrol at the NMIT for the Arts and Design Diploma.

I also love pattern. Finding the pattern or ‘algorithm’ behind a pattern i.e. in a fabric is a strange obsession of mine.  I find great inspiration in the works of Orla Kiely and Lisa Congdon. One vision of mine is to create a fabric line with my own designs and writing a sewing book for children using my own fabrics and sewing patterns. Having said that, my ikigai revealed two alternative pathways.

At the moment my personal practice outside NMIT consists of keeping art journals. If you want to learn more about art journaling, check out my post.

×