Want to learn how to write on your blog?

My first ever blog, published on 20 April 2008, was titled ‘Typepad, Blogger or WordPress?‘. (Bizarrely, it was published one month short of being exactly 10 years ago!)

Yep, the trading name I now use for all my freelance work, Write Across Media, started its life as a blog. At the time, I ran a company called Evolve Media and set up the blog to comment on writing across different media platforms. For a few months, one of my posts (To Ning or not to Ning?) went viral, but the fame was pretty short lived. But I kept blogging, mainly because it was a great way to build up a repository of online media topics that interested me (and also a great place to have a rant about shoddy customer service).

When I sold the trademark and domain name for Evolve Media to an international company in 2013, I rebranded as Write Across Media, got busy working on other writing projects and my blog has languished ever since, collecting cyberdust…

Nevertheless, I’ve learnt a few things about writing for the web along the way.

One of the best overall writing tips is this:

The best writers are the ones that read the best books.

As JK Rowling says: “Read a lot. Reading really helps. Read anything you can get your hands on.”

Don’t be afraid the re-read your favourite books from childhood.

Didn’t like reading when you were child? Then it’s never too late to reinvent yourself, to create you own new story.

Again, as JK Rowling says, “If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.”

If you don’t like reading books, perhaps blogs are more your thing?

The next best writing tip is this:

The best writers write, every single day.

As Stephen King says: “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.”

…and so, it figures:

The best bloggers are the ones that read the best blogs.

(One of New Zealand’s most successful bloggers is Emily Writes – she has almost 30,000 followers on Facebook and you might especially enjoy her if you’re a mother.)

The best bloggers are the ones that blog every day.

Blogs don’t necessarily have to feature lots of text. Your main message can be conveyed with video, audio, photos or illustrations. But text will be needed to guide people through these other media.

At about 400 words, do you think this blog is too long?

There’s a real art in writing less. Check out ‘How many words do you really need?‘ for some tips.

[Update added March 31, 2019:]

If you’re someone who would rather write for the screen than the page, check out local Nelson book designer Holly Dunn’s blog – which consists solely of a series of videos:Screenshot of Holly Dunn's blog at https://www.hollydunndesign.com/blogs

00