2. Key-shot/Final render

Final Render- I liked this final render better than the one below because it has a New Zealand friendly environment.

Using key shot i planted geometry (plane shapes) witch i manually lit up to get a realistic lighting balance. The artificial lighting would give the extra light i needed that the back-plate wouldn’t give me because it wasn’t a HDR.

Colouring with poly-paints

After a thousand variations of the same patterns i ended up with two concepts of colour with my creature, i would of done more but due to time restrictions i was unable to finish more concepts. Although my time restrictions were tight i knew what i wanted because of my references. I ended up going with the yellow and blue, because of the colours really catch your eye. Plus and it resembled the blue ring octopus i wanted to match from the start. The second design i thought might be too dark for the environment its in, making it hard to visualize.

Beak– I changed the beaks shape because i wanted it to open, my last design failed to do that because it was one sub-tool. The beak was easy enough to poly-paint just a simple smooth brown with a black tip.

Neck and Body- This was the hardest decision i made when it came to poly painting my creature. Tahe book i got from the library “A Guide to Squid, Cuttlefish and Octopuses of Australasia” showed me all sorts of colours and variations i could take my creature. but as soon as i noticed the blue ringed octopus i knew i was going to play around with its colours and see if i could come up with a better colour scheme but i pretty mush just copied it in the end.

Bird Body – I had to imagine what a bird looks like with no wings but never the less i managed to put together a fur like colour useing the same alpha i used for the skin texture.

Feet- keeping the duck feet very similar to the reference i used, except darker colours i thought it would be more menacing and be in-sync with the poly paint i used for the bird body.

#4 Detailing with Textures and Alphas

I tried and used multiple textures, most come from internet pictures that i generated into alphas using Photoshop techniques. I playing around with them a lot moving them around the intensity and there size just to see what looks good.

I used a texture that was originally a picture of bubbles as my main skin for any fish like surfaces e.g. Tentacles, Neck and a little on the tail. I thought it looked quite like a good rough texture for a base. The barnacles make the creature look like its really part of the ocean, i got the idea off of the previous work on “Davy Jones” tentacles. I finished the tail off with the best webbed texture i could find that resembled a ducks foot.

For the bird body section i started off with a more scaly type alpha and thought it didn’t look nature so i changed it to a light fur alpha, this made it look a lot more than a bird than original. I wanted the head/face to have slightly different textures than the rest of the body, seeing it takes most of the impact of the water it will need to be more hydrodynamic, therefore less barnacles unlike the neck and a smoother skin. I used a octopus skin for a smooth look and a less rough different duck skin for its webbed mane.

3# Tentacles

My first inspiration for the tentacles was “Davy Jones” from the film “Pirates of the Caribbean: dead man’s chest”. I liked the texture and the style of them, its like they all had there own personality. Although i didn’t want to make as many as they did on there character.

I new the tentacles would be a good transition from the head/neck to the body just like my reference Davy Jones. When i created them i thought it would be pretty cool if i made it look like the tentacles were holding the the body together. Still not sure whether i will animate them or maybe just a few of them.

BadKing is where i got the tentacle Brush:

https://www.badking.com.au/site/product-category/custom-brushes/

First try on Zbrush

My first experience with Zbrush was interesting, I started playing around with Zsphere’s (hence the unscripted wings) which is a simple way to create your character’s shape.

I came across a few rookie mistakes that made me restart my sculpt

-The first mistake was the symmetry, not turning the X-axis on while creating your creatures shape makes it harder for you to get a symmetric design. I have been told it will be difficult to animate the character in the future if it isn’t symmetrical.

-I notice my computer slowing down the more detail i wanted to add due to the poly count being too high
i was sub-dividing too much, i got to learn to use the Dynamesh and Sub-dividing to get a low poly count without losing detail