RESTYLING OF AN EXISTING IDENTITY (Part 1)

The business I have chosen to Restyle their identity is “Haakaa” (www.haakaa.co.nz).

Haakaa is a 100% local NZ owned and operated business that offer a wide range of products for mum and baby. I think their main product sale is the Haakaa breast pump, because of its good silicone quality, price and easy system to use.

Haakaa silicone breast pump generation 1

When I first saw their logo, authomatically made the conection in my brain about the New Zealand traditionl dance “Haka” and the tongue out (this aggressive facial expressions were meant to scare the opponents before war).

Haakaa logo

I liked their logo, but i couldn’t see in it anything that makes me think about mum and baby. It may seem to be a kid’s face with his tongue out, but still i couldn’t relate the logo with the business products.

I decided that my logo should be something that represent that connection between mum and baby and still maintain its Maori culture connection.

To be able to do this I based my research on Maori Patterns and their meaning:
– Koru: is a spiral shape based on the appearance of a new unfurling silver fern frond and symbolises new life, growth, strength and peace.
– Pikorua: is a twist symbol consisting of a closed loop with three knots. It refers to eternal emerging paths in life. The eight-shaped single twist symbolizes the strength of the bond between two people.
– Silver Fern: has been accepted as a symbol of New Zealand’s national identity since the 1880s. To Māori, the elegant shape of the fronds stood for strength, stubborn resistance, and enduring power.

Here are the sketches I have been drawing. Please make any suggestion/criticism, make an opinion about the drawing, idea and concept. Excuse my draws as my drawing skill are very poor lol!
The main idea was to use the Pikorua as the mum with baby in the womb, use the Koru as baby and the silver fern as decoration or as mom’s hair. In some of them I included the Haka tongue out, what do you think about it? would you leave it or remove it?

Next blog entry i will do some research about the Font… so far I like the one they already have in the logo, it has some movement and is a font that when i look at it makes me feel happy.

Here I am to read all what you think about! 🙂 Have a good day guys!

Sabri

00