Kit bashing the foot: June 21 – 22

When I was reasonably happy with the model I went and found a free foot mesh from TurboSquid.

Badjah. (2013, August 26). Human foot [3D Model]. TurboSquid.Com. https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/763187

I imported the foot obj into my scene. It had a few too many polygons compared to my model so I used the Reduce tool to make it more evenly matched with the leg. I figured I would use the same method of attaching the foot as we had with the hand earlier.

Arnold, S.J (2020, June 21). Importing the foot. Screenshot by author
Arnold, S.J (2020, June 21). Foot model after Reduce function. Screenshot by author
Arnold, S.J (2020, June 22). Importing the foot. Screenshot by author

First step was to go around the model and attach the most obvious vertices to the leg. I only had to merge 4 sets of vertices to attach the foot.

Arnold, S.J (2020, June 22). Foot model attached to leg. Screenshot by author

After successfully attaching the foot to the leg I noticed a small problem with the toes. I think this might have happened when I did the Reduce function.

Arnold, S.J (2020, June 22). Problem with toes. Screenshot by author
Arnold, S.J (2020, June 22). Weird stuff on toes. Screenshot by author

I had a look at the foot in wireframe mode to see what the problem was with the toes, and inside the foot there were all kinds of weird things going on. There were diamond shapes and extra faces all over the place. Two of these were poking through the skin of the foot. I deleted these and checked to make sure it didn’t make any difference to the foot shape. It didn’t so then I went to focus on the toe shaping which still needed fixing. The toenails were all out of shape so I went into face mode to pull them up and out and then I discovered that even in here there were problems with extra shapes.

Again in wire mode I turned the foot around so I could look inside the toes and there was such a mess in there I decided to delete the foot and find another one. It would take me way too long to sort it all out even if I could.

Printable Models. (2018, October 10). Foot V3 3D Model [3D model]. Free3d.com. https://free3d.com/3d-model/foot-v3–336092.html

I found a good looking foot on Free3d.com which was quite high in polygons but I did the reduce function a couple of times to bring it down a bit and make it easier to join the foot to the leg.

Arnold, S.J (2020, June 22). Deleting top faces of the foot. Screenshot by author

First job after reducing the polygons was to delete all the faces at the top of the foot. Then I duplicated the foot and mirrored it to give me two feet facing the right way. I went around and merged every second set of vertices together before joining the foot onto the leg. I combined the body and the foot after snapping the foot vertices to the leg. Because the foot does not have the same amount of horizontal divisions it looks completely different to the body that has already had a smooth applied. I worked my way around the foot deleting the extra edges created by merging the top vertices, the plan being to add edge loops to make the geometry more even with the body. When I first tried to add edge loops I found it would not work because the extra edges stopped the edge loop working. It would only work on the edges that had not been merged at the top.

Arnold, S.J (2020, June 22). Deleting extra edges. Screenshot by author

About this point I found the poor old laptop was really struggling with all the extra polygons created by smoothing the body and with the feet added. I kept deleting the history but still it would take 20 to 30 seconds to perform each function. Time to save it all out and work on the model on the NMIT PC from here on out.

10