I got five dread locks attached to the models head and merged the vertices after combining them with the head. I used shaders to give them some colour. First of all I tried applying a texture but like the model there is work that needs to be done sorting out the UV mapping. There is simply no time and while it is frustrating submitting substandard work I have come to understand that there is a point in these courses where I need to leave something and move on. That is a big deal for an artist, but in the context of learning such a massive new skill using totally unfamiliar software and a different way of looking at things it is ok. I need to be kinder on myself, give it my best shot and move on. There will be time later to revisit things and practise practise practise.
I went looking for reptile skin type texture for the model. I found one that was actually a leather texture, but when I applied it because the UVs need work it looked horrendous.
Then I found another better texture (see below). This one I think will look great but I do not have the time to work on the UVs. After all my course work is submitted I will learn how to do the uv mapping properly so I can see how she will look.
On the places where the uvs are fine the texture looks great. Like on her fingers and the eyes. I would like to apply proper shaders to her eye balls also so they look like eyes.
I am sorry that I do not have the time to do the UVs, I think the model will look great with this texture applied correctly. I did manage to create a UV map thanks to Dave, but then with no time left I still didn’t have enough time to get it into photoshop and apply the texture. A really good learning curve though and something I can practise in my own time.