Mini Environment / Xgen

I had a lot of fun creating a small environment for Boblin to sit in.

My first Idea was that I was going to create an animation in this environment but I think it will be more enjoyable for me to animate a separate rig for the Animation part of the assessment.

Since my first idea for an environment was for animation I started out with some concept art and tried to model based on that image.

I really did not like how it was turning out which was a decider in the change of direction.

I decided to do a smaller mini environment which would suit rotating on a turntable hence the round shapes, I created the rocks by using Maya’s sculpting tools and some cubes as a base, I wanted to go for a more stylized approach to try match how Boblin looked.

I used a Birch tree from the Content browser and duplicated and sculpted the leaves to try replicate the leaves from my reference image.

I then textured the objects bar the leaves in substance painter, I Color picked all the colors from my main reference image to keep a uniform look, the leaves were a regular AIStandard material with subsurface on.

This is the main reference Image I used, a photograph I took on a walk to Lake Rotoiti which is the environment my character lives in
Sarah Wallace. (n.d.). Untitled Personal Photograph [Photograph]

For the grass and feathers on the cape I used Xgen to generate groomable splines and textured them with the same technique of color picking from the reference image. I had experimented with Xgen a couple of days ago so I felt confident in being able to jump in and make grass.

After positioning Boblin in the scene I noticed some odd deformations but since I had referenced the model in I was able to easily edit the original file and it updated no problem in the environment scene.

There was ugly stretching on the neck and ankle

XGEN Testing

To create feathers on the cape of my character I wanted to challenge myself, I decided to use XGEN to create something that resembled feathers and could be attached to a nCloth to animate.

I followed this tutorial to get a grasp on how to use the tools

I found that this is generally one of the last steps you would want to do in a scene as the interaction with ground polygons don’t work on a referenced splines.

I decided to add the feathers in the same scene as the grass for easier grooming.

10
×